Location Information
(for the Dr. Charles H. Dubs Townhouse)
Name:Dr. Charles H. Dubs Townhouse
Address:311 Pearl Street, North
City/County:Natchez, Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1852
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:05 May 1978
NR District Name:Natchez-On-Top-of-the-Hill
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:392
View National Register Nomination Form
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Natchez Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
An elegant, free-standing brick townhouse, with Greek Revival details. Notable for the quality of its craftsmanship, it features a finely-laid stretcher-bond facade, comparable to the brickwork at Melrose, Shadyside, and Weymouth Hall. The Dr. Dubs Townhouse is significant for its historical association with the original owner, Dr. Charles H. Dubs, a locally prominent inventor and dental surgeon. It is also significant as a rare example in Natchez of the Northern townhouse form, with excellent craftsmanship evident in the brickwork and with an unusually complete scheme of interior decorative painting. Included in The Great Houses of Natchez (p. 24) and Natchez Walking Guide (#17). Individually listed on the National Register on 5 May 1978.