Location Information
(for the Oakland Chapel #3)
Name:Oakland Chapel (#3)
Address:Alcorn State University
City/County:Alcorn, Claiborne County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1840-51
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
Registration Information
NHL Listing Date:11 May 1976
NR Listing Date:07 Dec 1974
NR District Name:Alcorn State University
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:3
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:09-26-1985
Recorded:11-12-1985
Book/Vol. No.:V. 11-T, p. 349
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Alcorn State University District
click here for additional information on this district.
Local Landmark Listing Date:25 Nov 1991
click here to view ordinance
Context/Comments
Begun in 1838 as the main building of Oakland College, it is now the oldest building of Alcorn State University, the first land-grant college for African Americans in the nation. A temple-form Greek Revival brick auditorium with a two-story-high interior space, on a high brick basement, with a hexastyle portico. The iron steps leading to the portico were formerly the front steps of "Windsor" (021-ALC-1001). Included in Historic Architecture in Mississippi (1973) (pp. 61-62) and Architecture in Claiborne County, Mississippi (1974) (pp. 81-82). [HABS MS-202 (1972)]