Location Information
(for the Isom Place)
Name:Isom Place [Barksdale-Isom House]
Address:1003 Jefferson Avenue
City/County:Oxford, Lafayette County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1843
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:02 Apr 1980
NR District Name:North Lamar
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:21
View National Register Nomination Form
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:North Lamar Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
"Planter Samuel Carothers, an officer in the Battle of New Orleans, had this house built in 1843. In 1847, Dr. Thomas Dudley Isom purchased it. As a young trading post clerk in 1836, Isom had proposed naming the frontier settlement after Oxford, England, in hopes it would be chosen for the state university. Local lore credits the giant magnolia in front of the house to the young bride Sarah Isom, who carried the shoot from her home in South Carolina. In 2000, the University of Mississippi acquired the house, which is now the home of the Barksdale Reading Institute" (see Oxford Walking Tour, p. 2). Thomas Isom came to the area from Tennessee in 1835 as the nineteen-year-old agent of an Indian trading company. After completing medical training in Philadelphia, Isom returned to Ocford in 1839 to practice medicine. As a prominent citizen of the region, he was sent to the Mississippi secession convention, where he argued against separation from the Union. During the Civil War, however, Isom served as a military surgeon in Virginia with the 17th Mississippi regiment and later opened a military hospital on the University of Mississippi campus for the victims of the Battle of Shiloh. After the war, Isom continued his medical practice and became one of the most prominent and progressive physicians in northern Mississippi in his use of new drugs and surgical techniques. [HABS: MS-254 (1975)]