Location Information
(for the Lamb-Fish Bridge)
Name:Lamb-Fish Bridge
Address:Paducah Wells Road
over Tallahatchie River
City/County:Charleston vic., Tallahatchie County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1905
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:19 May 1982
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:08-04-1987
Recorded:10-06-1987
Book/Vol. No.:V. 351, p. 268
Context/Comments
The Lamb-Fish Bridge, built in 1905 by the American Bridge Company of New York, is significant to the history of engineering in Mississippi as the only known example of the verticle lift span system of bridge design. As the only extant site associated with the once prosperous Lamb-Fish Lumber Company of Charleston, the bridge is also significant to local industrictal history. In 1932, a fire swept through the plant. With the loss of the lumber company, the railroad was no longer needed, and the bridge was abandoned. In the 1950s, the span was lowered, railroad ties were removed, and the structure was converted to a one-lane car and truck bridge.