Location Information
(for the Winona Community House)
Name:Winona Community House
Address:113 Sterling Avenue
City/County:Winona, Montgomery County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1937-38
Architectural Styles(s):Tudor
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:10 Mar 2009
NR District Name:Winona
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:457
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:03-22-2002
Recorded:05-09-2002
Book/Vol. No.:V. A182, p. 191
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Winona Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
A stone-veneered building with false-half-timbered gables, very similar to the community houses in Grenada (043-GRN-0131) and Pontotoc (115-PON-0099). The Winona Community House was built in the Tudor Revival style, recognized by the use of half-timbering, steep pitched roofs with intersecting gables and prominent chimneys. The stone fa├žade is rare for a Mississippi public building due to the lack of high quality building stone in the state. Bill Gatlin, MDAH staff architectural historian wrote the nomination.
Brief Description
One-story, stone veneer community center with a side-facing able roof of asphalt shingles on
a stone foundation. A partial-width, front facing gable roof projecting entry porch is
supported by a stone segmental arch framed in brick in a quoin pattern. The peak of the gable
has stucco panels separated by wood framing. There are also brick quoins at the corners of
the facade. The facade is nine-bay (W-WW-D-WW-W-W-W-D-W). The windows are 6/6
wood DHS and rest on cast stone sills, except for the third from the right which is a six-light
wood sash. The main entry door is on the left and double-leaf wood with fifteen lights to each
leaf. The other door is also wood with fifteen lights. There is a stone chimney with a brick
coping on the far right end of the building. Exposed rafter tails are visible.
Historic Information
Completed in July 1936, the Winona Community House is one of seventeen known Works Progress Administration community houses built during the New Deal.