Location Information
(for the Cliffs Plantation)
Name:Cliffs Plantation
City/County:Natchez vic., Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1855
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:1.5
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:18 Sep 1980
View National Register Nomination Form
Context/Comments
A five-bay, wood-frame, vernacular Greek Revival galleried cottage, The Cliffs was probably constructed in the 1850s as the plantation residence of John W. Henderson, one of the most prominent citizens of nineteenth-century Natchez. Evidence of the original interior decorative scheme still survives, as the first renovation did not occur until approximately 1970. The doors were grained in imitation of oak, one oak-graned door still surviving; and the plaster walls were left bare or white-washed. An early barn is the only surviving historic outbuilding.