Location Information
(for the Winthrop Sargent House)
Name:Winthrop Sargent House ["Bellevue"; "Gloucester"]
Address:201 Lower Woodville Road
City/County:Natchez, Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1803
Architectural Styles(s):Federal
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:07 Nov 1976
View National Register Nomination Form
Context/Comments
One of the oldest and best-preserved suburban mansions in the Natchez region and considered one of the best examples of Neoclassical/Federal domestic architecture in the state. In addition, Gloucester is the only structure in Mississippi associated with its first territorial governor, Winthrop Sargent. The Gloucester Cemetery is the only remaining site assocaited with Sarget S. Prentiss, an important figure in the early political history of the state and one of its most celebrated orators. Gloucester was proposed for National Historic Landmark designation in 1974, and was declared eligible by the Secretary of the Interior on May 30, 1974, but was never designated. (The possiblility of NHL designation was confirmed by Carol Shull, Keeper of the National Register, in a letter dated 5 November 2004.) [HABS: MS-17-5 (1934): photos and measured drawings]

The following was compiled by Mimi Miller, Historic Natchez Foundation, c.1985:

Gloucester was probably built by Samuel Young shortly after he acquired the property in 1803 (Deed Book B:220) and was described for sale in the Mississippi Messenger, Noveber 25, 1806, p.3 as a "most beautiful modern built Dwelling House, too well known to need description. Winthrop Sargent acquired the house, then known as Bellevuew, in 1807 (Deed Book D:497) and changed the name to Gloster Place in honor of his native Gloucester, Massachusetts.

The house is documented to have achieved its present form during the territorial period with the possible exception of the front colossal portico, the rear gallery flanked by cabinet rooms, and the half-octagon ends. The dates of the half-octagon ends of the house are unknown--the western end could have been original or both could have been added when the house was enlarged about 1807. Weathered wood shingles protected by the front portico and rear colonnade prove that both the portico and the colonnade are additions. They were probably added after 1824, when the house was sold by Sargent's widow to James and Catherine Wilkins (Adams County Deed Book N, p. 359), most likely in the 1830s, when the arched openings and cross hall were added to the interior. The Chinese Chippendale lattice work beneath the Gloucester portico is also found beneath the rear portico added to Arlington in the 1830s.

The matching entrance doorways are set beneath well-executed fanlights, the brickwork is laid in Flemish bond, and the doorway features the detached sidelights that appear in several Adams and Wilkinson County as well as West Feliciana Parish residences during the territorial period. The interior features gouged-carved cornices, well-detailed millwork, and two staircases with the earlier western staircase the finer of the two. The small sienna-colored marble mantel piece of the eastern original parlor is probably the oldest marble mantel piece in the Mississippi Territory. All other mantels were updated later in the 19th century. The front cross hall with its beautiful arches was not installed until the mid-1830s or early 1840s, since all elements of the treatment feature the Grecian ovulo and filet molding typical of that period in Natchez.