Location Information
(for the Warren-Gunter-Guild-Simmons House)
Name:Warren-Gunter-Guild-Simmons House [Fairview Inn]
Address:734 Fairview Street
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1909
Architectural Styles(s):Colonial Revival
No. of Stories:2
Remodeling Date:1921
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:11 Jan 1979
NR District Name:Belhaven
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:224a
View National Register Nomination Form
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Belhaven Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
Built for Cyrus C. Warren in 1909, this house is significant for its historic association with the lumber industry which flourished in Jackson. Designed by prominent Chicago architects Spencer & Powers, the house features an unusual combination of Colonial Revival moldings and mantels and Mission-style built-in benches. The carriage barn is an apparently rare survivor of what was once a common adjunct to the turn-of-the-century house in Jackson. Noteworthy also are the remains of landscaping designed in 1922 by the St. Louis firm of Muskopf & Irish. In the 1950s, it was the home of William J. Simmons, founder of the White Citizens Council of Jackson.