Location Information
(for the Manship House)
Name:Manship House
Address:412 Fortification Street, East
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1857
Architectural Styles(s):Gothic Revival
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:18 Oct 1972
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:01-15-1986
Recorded:01-28-1986
Book/Vol. No.:V. 3186, p. 278
Context/Comments
Built for Charles H. Manship, who as mayor surrendered the city of Jackson to Gen. William T. Sherman, July 16, 1863. Served as temporary headquarters of Confederate Gen. John S. Adams and was bounded on the north by Confederate fortifcations of the city. Excellent example of residential Gothic Revival architecture and one of few antebellum Jackson houses to survive. The design of the facade, or west elevation, is clearly derived from Figure 128 in Andrew Jackson Downing's influential pattern book "The Architecture of Country Houses" (1850).