Location Information
(for the FBO Hangar)
Name:FBO Hangar
Address:Gulfport-Biloxi Regional Airport
City/County:Gulfport, Harrison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1944
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:21 Mar 2011
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:07-27-2012
Context/Comments
The Gulfport Army Airfield Hangar is located at the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport. The United States Army established the Gulfport Army Airfield in 1942 as a training station. Combat crews flying B-17 “Flying Fortresses” trained at the base. With the introduction of the much larger B-29 “Superfortress” the Army expanded the facilities at Gulfport and constructed the hangar. Following the war, the airfield was converted to civilian use and the hangar was used a commercial terminal until 1963. The Gulfport Army Airfield Hangar is a tangible link to Mississippi’s role in the Second World War and the growth of commercial aviation in the state. Bill Gatlin, MDAH architectural historian, wrote the nomination. The hangar was listed on March 21, 2011.